RICHMOND MEMORIAL LIBRARY
RULES OF CONDUCT FOR LIBRARY PATRONS
The Board of Trustees of the Richmond Memorial Library by approving these rules of conduct confirms the library’s Mission to provide a safe and comfortable environment for library patrons.
These rules of conduct are supported by related library policies and procedures.
LIBRARY PATRONS ARE EXPECTED TO:
- Respect the rights of fellow library users.
- Comply with library policies and the requests of library staff.
- Check out any materials using a valid library card and be responsible for any fines, fees or other charges due.
- Follow the library’s Computer and Internet Use Policy. Be courteous to other computer users.
- Be fully clothed including shoes, shirt, and shorts or pants, dress or skirt. Undergarments should not be seen.
- Attend to all personal items brought to the library. The library is not responsible for personal belongings left in or on library property.
LIBRARY PATRONS ARE PROHIBITED FROM:
- Physically harming library staff or patrons.
- Stealing library materials.
- Damaging, misusing or defacing library property, furnishings or equipment.
- Misusing or defacing the restrooms (using as a laundry or washing facility).
- Neglecting to provide proper supervision of children. See policy for Unattended Child.
- Loitering in the library, on library steps, entryway, lobby, or library property thereby creating a nuisance to those trying to enter, exit, access or use the library and its resources.
- Talking loudly, making noise, or engaging in other disruptive conduct that interferes with another person’s use of the library or with the library staff’s performance of their duties.
- Using profane, offensive or abusive language or gestures.
- Engaging in lewd or indecent behavior.
- Fighting, provoking a fight or demonstrating threatening or intimidating behavior.
- Gambling, soliciting funds, and/or distributing literature or promotional material, selling or marketing of goods or services by individuals or groups.
- Using personal communication or audio devices at a volume that disturbs others.
- Smoking or use of any tobacco products or smoking devices in or on library property.
- Being under the influence of alcohol/illegal drugs, selling, using, distributing, or possessing alcohol/illegal drugs on library property.
- Engaging in illegal activities.
- Carrying a weapon into the library unless authorized by law. Any patron authorized to carry a weapon must notify library staff that he/she is carrying a weapon in the library.
- Engaging in excessive public shows of affection.
- Bringing animals into the library, except those needed to assist a patron with a disability or as part of an approved library program.
- Tethering animals near the entrances to the library.
- Leaving bicycles, skateboards, skates, wagons, strollers, sleds unattended in the lobby, near ramp, blocking stairways or bookdrop. Skates of any kind may not be worn in the library.
The library reserves the right to request patrons to open any bags, purses or packages for inspection when the anti-theft system is triggered.
For the protection of our patrons, security cameras are in use on library premises.
Any patron violating these rules of conduct is subject to sanctions including, but not limited to, being asked to leave library premises, having library privileges limited or revoked. Law enforcement will be contacted when required.
Richmond Memorial Library Board of Trustees
January 10, 2011
September 9, 2013